Friday, June 1, 2007

Career Essay

The Best Way for Me: Business

When I was little, I was always confident and said it easily to others about the job that I wanted to be. Today, I always hesitate or not sure about what I want to be. This scares and makes me worry about my uncertain future. However, doing research and after careful consideration I have finally found the job. It is Marketing manager. Marketing manger is a suitable job for me.

Marketing manager fits with me in many ways. They develop marketing strategy and estimate the demand for products and services. They determine the price of the product which can help maximize profits and market and need to ensure the customers to be satisfied. They monitor trends of products and services and oversee product development(Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers). I was “The Inspector.”(Keirsy 4) which my natural affinities were "earnest and attentive in inspecting"(Keirsy 4) and "no irregularities or discrepancies are let go by"(Keirsy 4). My natural affinities can help on determining and monitoring. It would help marketing strategies since my skills are delicacy and neatness. I am interested in studying psychology of humans and would study customer’s psychology in order to satisfy them.
There is more information to marketing manager that I found interesting and important. Necessary education is a “bachelor or masters degree in business administration with an emphasis on marketing” (Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers). I was thinking of obtaining a bachelor and masters or even a doctor’s degree with my major so I was fine with it. There were some things that could help marketing managers promote or advance. They need the ability to talk in a foreign language and be forceful, both orally and written. The qualities they need are experience, ability and leadership. They need to participate in management training programs and certification is very important. A demand was they need to “experience in related occupations plus broad liberal arts background” (Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers). The needs and abililities for a marketing manager would really help me to develop. I was interested in all of the related occupations and was happy to have an experience in those.

Marketing manager is a fine job for me but there were some parts I found challenging. There personalities have to be “mature, creative, highly motivated, resistant to stress, flexible, and decisive” (Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers). These not only help a marketing manager advance but also help me, as an individual, to develop. However I was worried about “resistant to stress” since I’m a type that gets stress pretty easily. However I’m trying to manage my stress so I am able to handle my stress. The future outlook was “college graduates with related experience, a high level of creativity, and strong communication skills should have the best job opportunities.” and this job would be increased by 2014. (Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers) I am lack of creativeness and communication skills but I’m interested and planning to increase those skills.

I interviewed Suk-Hee Yoo who is a marketer(marketing manager) at LG Chemistry. I asked him “What is marketing manger’s role when developing a new product?” He said that marketing mangers doesn’t have intimate connection on releasing new product. However, he said metaphorically “New product is the part of the marketer and has the marketer’s soul.” Marketing manager is the central figure in consumer’s goods company (Yoo). Marketing managers always have to be awake, listen close to customer’s opinions and always help the person who does the decision making(usually CEOs). These days people who become CEOs are mostly marketing managers(Yoo).

I can imagine myself working as a marketing manager now. It was interesting and fun to know about one career specifically. I am not sure that this job will be the one I will choose, however I think it will be one of my top electives of my job choices. I discovered and realized who I was and also learned so much about Marketing Manager. There were some things that I liked and disliked, but I felt that this job was the one for me. I had a marvelous time and hope to research jobs again in the future. I am glad and thankful that I made one step closer toward my future. This is not the finishing line but I am almost there!




Works Cited
"Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers." Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2006-07 Edition. Aug 4 2006. U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 07 Mar 2007 http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos020.htm
Kiersy, David. Please understand me 2. Delmar, CA: Prometheus Nemesis Book Company, 1998.
Yoo, Suk Hee. E-mail interview. Trans. Jennifer Cho. 12/Mar/2007.

No comments: